Saturday, February 06, 2010

Day Four: Friday, February 5, 2010

I smoked quite a bit last night and Dal drank quite a bit. I had three petit coronas, a petit cigarillo, and a cigarillo and Dal had a shot at work and then a scotch and then a beer with 13% Alcohol by volume. We made quite the pair by the end of the night, Dal being very loose and overly complementary towards everyone and I being completely wired and fidgety.

Dal chose a El Baton, Double Toro. They're a newer line and made from the same house as Centro Finas.

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $6.00
Time: An hour and a half

From ElBaton.com:
Complex, nutty cigar with a bold spicy flavor. Touches of oak wood and black pepper have been noted, as well as nice leathery transitions with mocha and pepper. Consistent full-bodied cigar, with pleasent surprises throughout.

Dal like it a lot. He said it had a mild-medium flavor, a good pack, he really enjoyed the size too.


With it he had a Glenfiddich 12 that I sipped off of. It's a single malt scotch from the Highlands of Scotland that's been aged for, you guessed it, twelve years. The official site states that it is sweet with notes of pear, oak, butterscotch, and cream.

Dal liked it but isn't a big scotch drinker to begin with. I found the same "rotten" taste at the beginning, but after it watered I definitely found the sweet notes.


Afterwards, he had the Goose Island Bourbon County. It's a Bourbon Barrel-aged Imperial stout. It has a staggering 13% alcohol per volume amount and is served in a sniffer instead of your typical mug or glass.

The Goose Island describes it as:
an intense mix of charred oak, chocolate, vanilla, caramel and smoke. One sip has more flavor than your average case of beer. A great cigar beer.

Dal said it had a very strong coffee flavor and was very chocolatey. He said that it didn't taste like it's alcohol content and was actually very, very drinkable. He definitely plans on getting it again soon.


I went on a bit of a flavored rampage. I still want to get all of the Flavours by CAO out of the way and I've finally finished off all of the ones offered at Jake's, but there's still two more out there, lurking.

For the first of my many I tried the Flavours by CAO, Moontrance

Size: Petit Corona
Wrapper: Cameroon
Filler: Dominican
Prize: $5.00
Time: 30 mins

It's always described as having this incredible flavor, filled with exotic fruit and vanilla and being the centerpiece of the Flavours line. I thought it was pretty good. The vanilla was nice, but it lacked the pizazz that I was expecting. And worst of all, it was sticky. When I went to light it I felt it and opened my mouth only to have the cigar stick to my lip and hang there. I don't know if moisture got in the bag or what, but it was not fun.


I finished up all of my available Flavours with Gold Honey

Size: Petit Corona
Wrapper: Cameroon
Filler: Dominican
Price: $5.00
Time: 30 mins

I wanted to try this after a friend's girlfriend had one and liked it. I enjoyed it as well. The honey notes stay through for the aftertaste and retrohale. I liked a lot. My two favorites from the line are still Cherrybomb and Eileen's Dream, but this is a solid third place in my mind. And my friend's girlfriend only proves my theory that these are excellent "girly" or starter cigars.


Lastly, after having one of my Cherrybomb petit cigarillos, I tried the Cojimar Mango, mainly I was just intrugued by the promise of a mango flavor and the price.

Size: Cigarillo
Wrapper: Dominican
Filler: Dominican
Price: $3.00
Time: ~15 mins


From CojimarCigar.com:
Cojimar captures the pure essence of one of natures most distinctive fruits and combines it with premium tobaccos. The end result is a wonderfully sweet cigar loaded with delicious mango flavor.

It was sweet, but I don't know about a mango flavor. Or really any fruit flavor at all. I didn't care for it at all. The pack was too loose and it burned too hot and it was just not nice. I might try some of their other flavors though, just to try them. Chocolate, Cinnamon, Sambuca, Rum, Cognac, Coffee, Banana. They're just so crazy that I have to try them.

No comments:

Post a Comment